Monday, October 26, 2020

SRA '60

Just wanted to update a few items after the very successful Zoom Reunion.
In necrology, it's "Ronald Fitzgerald ", not "Roland". 

And because she heard that Bill Farley had had a heart attack, my bride of 55 years, the former Jessica Farrell, had her own moderate heart attack 5 days after our reunion. She got two stents at Miriam Hospital and begins cardiac rehab tomorrow. 

I failed to mention that we have 3 adult children and 3 grandchildren. The two oldest kids are lawyers here in RI and the youngest is a stand-up comedian in Los Angeles. ( if you've seen the latest Progressive Ins. Ad with Flo and two others judging a hand competition, he's the male judge at the right end of the table.)

Mike McCarthy

Ps to Jim Doan, the swim coach's name was something like Nick Rosario AND I also got a letter that year for swimming..........ok ok, it was a "minor" one but it still spelled "R"

3 comments:

Tom McCabe said...

Ronald Fitzgerald is fixed in the necrology. Thanks for finding this.

Bernie Casey said...

Mike, you may be getting this comment twice as I thought my earlier attempt was submitted but it does not appear to have been published. Anyway, I was asking about Ron Fitzgerald. Had you stayed in touch since SRA? I heard he joined the USMC but I don't know what he did after that or when he died, obviously much too young. I remember him as a large personality who joked and laughed a lot.
Say hello to Jessica for me and relay my wishes for her full recovery.
Stay well.

Bernie Casey

Mike McCarthy said...

Bernie,
I lost touch with Ron after Saints despite having gone through St. Theresa's with him until some time in the late 1990's when he showed up at the office where I was Chief Counsel for the State dept. of Human Services. Among other things, I supervised the department's hearing officers and it turned out that one of them had gone to what is now UMass Law School in Dartmouth with Ron.
I learned that after the marines he had gone to PC and eventually law school. I gathered from the hearing officer that he may not have graduated or if he did, had not passed the Mass. Bar. ( at the time the school was only accredited by Mass. so he couldn't take the RI bar.)
To make a long story short, it seemed that he had developed either alcohol or mental health issues (or both) and he started making a pest of himself visiting the office, to the extent that I had to tell the hearing officer to ask him not to visit.
He had told me that he was living in Section 8 housing in downtown Pawtucket but after that I lost touch with him until I learned of his death.
Too bad, he was a likable guy who Life didn't treat well. RIP, Ron.

Mike