Friday, October 16, 2020

Jim Doane

I went out for the swim team in the fall of 1957, it was my first year at Saints.   Tryouts were held at the Pawtucket Boy's Club.

The routine there was boys did not wear swimsuits, we practiced and swam naked.  I made the team and we practiced 3-4 times per week.

Brother James (I think) was our "spiritual leader" and we were coached by the guy who worked at the Boy's Club and ran their swim team.  After a few weeks of practicing Brother James showed up to watch and was "shocked" that no one wore swimsuits. He told us that was no longer going to happen, we were told to go out and buy Speedos! Most of us wondered what is his problem, but we all complied. Dave Shallcross, Pete Healey, Marty Flaherty, and Bill Farley were some of my teammates that I remember.I was pretty decent at swimming and was the only sophomore who earned a Saints Letter that year.  
Jim Doane

No comments: